Sunday, February 1, 2009

Seeing the dirt on the pool floor

Baby K and I went swimming on Friday. Ostensibly because I did promise her last week when I insisted on going to the beach rather than back out west (on the day of the NW Shooting), but also because I'm running a Triathlon in 20 days, and as such all time in the pool is worthwhile. At least that's what I told myself. I spent half the time having a wild creature scramble for my arm in a desperate attempt to not drown, and the rest of the time telling asshole teenage boys to stop bombing directly on Baby K or stop splashing in our faces. Asses.

Anywoo, Baby K swam about 20m on her own! It wasn't pretty but she did it!




Finally managed to get my ass to the gym on Saturday afternoon. This triathlon thing is looming rather close (it's the 20th of Feb!) so I'm thinking I need to do just a touch more work. Ha. I have more swimming planned this week and then running/cycling on the other days. I'm really struggling with it all at the moment because I'm not good at it - so I struggle to not get distracted and enjoy it. It's a huge push for me to even swim 25 m non stop, not because I can't but because I get bored. I swarm with contacts in for the first time, which was exciting for the first 50m, but then got hell boring because all I was looking at was the dirty pool floor in focus. Boo. I'm sure I'll get past it, but for now I must push myself.

I despise doing things that I'm not good at, or things that I have to push myself to do unless I can see that I can make it. Which doesn't really make a lot of sense, because I do enjoy challenges, but I enjoy challenges that are within my comfort zone. Even the sense of achievement isn't enough at the moment. I am the brainy one, not the athletically gifted one. My cousins do really well in both Basketball and Netball, not me. Sitting the gamsat doesn't phase me as much as getting out there and running that Triathlon. I'm so scared of not making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment